Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Basket Class

I taught an all day class on basket weaving with paper this past Saturday. In the morning, we made cards using the basket weaving embellishments and in the afternoon, we made the baskets. It was a looooong day, but everyone left with a gorgeous basket, 3 cards, and the knowledge to make more!

This is a basket I made on Sunday. It has much narrower "reed" for weaving and more of a design than the baskets made in class.





This photo shows the inside which is just as pretty as the outside!






The bottom of the basket is solid so that nothing can fall out. I hate getting the baskets made in Taiwan with the major gaps in the bottom. When the basket is complete, it does not feel like paper. It almost has a vinyl feel to it. Very sturdy also!




The skeleton of the basket as we start our afternoon class. These ladies are real troopers for the amount of time, effort, and care they took in their baskets. All of the baskets turned out wonderful. We used various colors and it really made it basket an individual piece of art!


After class, everyone shows their baskets and cards. These ladies are so sweet - we had a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am really looking forward to learning this technique!! Hopefully will have a "few minutes" in August!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen! I keep forgetting to ask. Could you post the number of strips needed & the sizes? My basket is proudly displayed in my kitchen. The class was lots of fun & I would love to take more basket weaving classes!

Tiffany Bisson
tbisson1@roadrunner.com